Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
We cannot eliminate waste entirely, but we can make a significant change in the way we consume and dispose of items. A good way to do this is by applying the 3Rs – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – in our daily lives. Small steps you can take today:
Reduce: Use only what you need
- Don’t buy what you don’t need. This way, there will be less to reuse and recycle! For things you need, try supporting local products where possible.
- Remove your name from mailing lists you don’t want to receive anymore.
- Avoid buying items that are over-packaged with paper, plastic, foil, etc.
Reuse: Reuse things for the same or new purpose
- Old jars and containers can be used to store small items around the house.
- Sell or donate unwanted clothes. Some retail shops like H&M accept old clothing and textiles. This is a great way to save the environment while cleaning out your wardrobe.
- Electrical/electronic equipment no longer in use can be donated to schools or NGOs.
Recycle: Convert waste into useful products
- Buy products that are made of recycled materials.
- Be mindful and look beyond the obvious when recycling your waste. For example, paper can also include egg cartons and packaging from parcels.
- Having a recycle bin at home can make separating recyclable items much easier. This will also make it easier when dropping off your items at your nearest recycling centre.